Re: Fun with Midget!

To: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: Fun with Midget!
From: mchaffee@sumter.cso.uiuc.edu
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 95 12:30:26 -0600
>> Replacement was easy, maybe the only tricky part was compressing the spring
>> and remounting the spring perch.  I used a chain through the frame and over
>> the shock that allowed me to use a floor jack (chain goes under the floor
>> jack and makes a circle) to compress the bugger.  Check some of the
>> restoration books....Lindsey Porters' helped me get the picture.
>>

>There's an easier way.  Make 4 long "bolts" from threaded stock, available
>at hardware stores.  Slip the springs through the holes in the lower A
>arms, and put the spring pans under them.  Use the sections of threaded
>stock (together with nuts and washers to taste) to draw the pans up
>against the A arms, compressing the springs.  The, one at a time, remove
>the threaded stock "bolts" and replace them with the originals.

I must have missed something here...  On Harvey, I just put a couple 2X4's
under the spring seat, put a bottle jack on the 2X4's, ran it up until the
spring was a bit compressed, unbolted, and eased the jack down.  Putting the
springs back in was the reverse of this procedure, though if I remember right
it took a little more finesse and a few attempts.  I think Midget spring
installation is one of those little projects that really bring out the
engineer in everyone!

Cheers-

Michael Chaffee
mchaffee@sumter.cso.uiuc.edu