Re: Fun with Midget!

To: mchaffee@sumter.cso.uiuc.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fun with Midget!
From: DROYDX@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 23:23:56 -0500
I just rebuilt the front suspension on my 69 Midget, so I'm intimately
aquainted with Kingpin & Co.  Buy a full rebuild kit, I got mine from NW
Imports...I think about 150.00 for both sides.  You'll get all the gizmos and
sleeves needed for replacement.

Good luck on seperating your Kingpins from the lower A arms.  Most likely the
cotter pins have welded themselves in place.  Beating them spreads the pin.
 Probably, just chisel them flush and drill out.  Now comes another fun part:
seperating the fulcrum pin (also probably rusted in place) from the A arm.
 Maybe another drill and chisel job.
A new fulcrum pin is part of thekit.
My A arms were cracked, as 75% probably are,  at the fulcum bushings, so I
chucked them and bought rebuilts, these from MiniCity....about 125.00 a
piece.  Getting new sleeves pressed and reamed to fit is a matter for your
local machine shop, but test fit your new kingpins to your swivel/stub
axle....mine were a great fit!!!
Replacement was easy, maybe the only tricky part was compressing the spring
and remounting the spring perch.  I used a chain through the frame and over
the shock that allowed me to use a floor jack (chain goes under the floor
jack and makes a circle) to compress the bugger.  Check some of the
restoration books....Lindsey Porters' helped me get the picture.

Good luck!
Droydster