Air Conditioning

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Air Conditioning
From: LawyerJoe@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 14:50:55 -0500
Dateline January 11: Houston, Texas hits high temperature in the 80's.  But
the
heat will not stop our intrepid MG Midget driver, because Bumblebee the 74
Midget now has air conditioning!

 I found a local who installs A/C in the likes of air cooled VW bugs,
and between the two of us we did find a way to get it all into the Midget;
a tight fit, but it worked out pretty well really.  Now for a few remaining
problems for net suggestions:

1. Running the compressor when idling in traffic (lugging the engine
somewhat)
seems to cause the engine to run rough on acceleration (it idles fine.)
 Seems
like this may be a timing problem, although I really don't know how the
compressor load changes the timing.  Any ideas on how to reset the timing
(advance or retard?), or what else could cause the A/C compressor to affect
the
way the engine runs.

2. Even though its only winter, I can already see that by in effect pulling
heat out of
the cockpit and placing it in front of the radiator (released in the
evaporator coil) .
is going to result in a problem with the engine overheating.  I already have
a big
electric fan in front, with the engine driven fan behind the
evaporator/radiator, but
what is a logical next step to get more cooling?  Is there a higher capacity
radiator which would fit in the Midget or perhaps is an oil cooler or
something
else the next step?

Joe (help me survive the summer) Lawyerjoe@aol.com