Leather Question

To: meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu
Subject: Leather Question
From: GNH.Wbst207V@xerox.com
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 06:40:29 PDT
Greg Meboe asks:
"... what have been your experiences with leather interiors, both surface
and vat dyed, preordered and custom made?"

Well... I have purchased three leather interior sets from Don Torgeson,
an independent upholsterer once living in Lone Pine, California, then
Reno/Carson City; more recently? - I have lost contact).  The interiors
were for a TC and two MGA's.  I think the leather was vat dyed and
the sets would be considered custom made, although Don has made
hundreds of interiors for MG's.

The cars were completed in 1988, 1990 and 1993.  All leather was
treated with Connolly Hide Food as new and once or twice per year
since then.  The procedure is to first vacuum (to get dirt out of seams)
then wash with mild soap and water.  I sold the TC in 1993 and one
MGA earlier this year.

All three cars have been garaged with consideration given to keeping
the interiors dry (tonneau covers) and reasonably clean.  None have been
"Garage Queens" and if we're out when it rains, the interiors (and I) get
wet.  In all cases the leather surfaces still look as good or better than new,
as leather gets a nice "lived in" look with time.

George Haynes
Dove Grey 1956 MGA... at 5 years and 23K miles the seats are still beautiful

PS.  Does anyone know how to reach Don Torgeson today?  It's time to
buy an interior for the TR4A.  If Don doesn't surface soon I'll work with
Chester's Britalia in Utah.  They have been very cooperative sending samples
and their prices are considerably lower than their "Brand Name" competitors.