Mini and Tiger talk

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: Mini and Tiger talk
From: Marcel Chichak <chichm@tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 94 19:44:34 MST
@LURK_MODE=OFF

sga1@ukc.ac.uk asks regarding Minis (a subject which is close to my heart,
and VERY far from my brain!!!):

>I'm looking for carb suggestions for my 1275cc Mini... and HS6s aren't very
>common down in the scrapyard...Can I get an HS6 from a different make of cars?

Yup, check under the bonnet of Volvos. Most powered by the B20, and B21a
had the  HIF6 carb, so did Marina's and other sundry old boxes. The Metro
and newer Mini's also have 'em. Try to find the newest one you can, not only
because of wear, but also the newer ones flow better. The one on my Mini
(1293 c/w 649 cam etc.) is from a ~'80 Volvo. I figured if it can feed
2.1 L it can feed a 1293@ 8000 RPM....and DOES IT EVER!!

When you get one, change the jet and acquire one of the new needles made
for this application: BDL, BDK or BBC (lean-okedokey-rich respectively)

>In a similar vain my '66 850cc only has an HS2, would it be beneficial ...

Oh, don't spoil it. An 850 has a charm all its own. If you can't stand
the "performance" swap the hole lump out for an A plus 1275 or 998. Keep
the 850 in the garage for when you've realized your mistake and want to
return the old box back to its original self. They're becoming
collectable don't 'cha know?

>My 850 is also noisy in neutral especially when I put the clutch down - worn
>idler bearings?

Sounds like either the idler gear bearings, thrust bearings or the
bushing on the primary gear, either way the lump's gotta come out. Bring
it over this weekend, I enjoy a challange!

>The gearchange is of the magic wand variety (direct to the box)
>is it possible to change the gearbox for a newer one still keeping this
>gearchange set up?

Yes, in theory. You can change to the 'remote' extension (big square box ala
Cooper and Mk II/III 998 through to '774), but not the 'rod change' which is
completely different. The tail casing is match-machined to the gear case so
you'll have to get it all line bored to match correctly and pinch the diff
gears just so. That will also preclude excessive oil leaks (HAHAHAHAHA ....
sorry just the thought of a Mini that doesn't leak oil...oh, I think I wet
myself...no it's just oil).

>While I'm on the subject, the Mini has hydrolastic suspension but when
>I got it pumped up the front wouldn't come up to height ... suggested that
the front nuckle joints had worn down.

Could be the knuckle joints, they're easy to inspect, but also check the
rear helper spring, you know that SPRING OF UNUSUAL PROPORTIONS in the
back where the damper is supposed to be? It's supposed to pull the back
DOWN and level the car.

hope this helps.

and now for something completely different:

@BLATENT_ADVERTISING=ON

The local rag tonight has an ad for the following:

1966 Tiger Mk II, 289, excl condition, $23K firm (Canadian $, eh?)
     call 403-451-5688 and talk to Martine.

If anyone is interested I can talk to the people in the car club and
have an initial look for you.

@BLATENT_ADVERTISING=OFF

@LURK_MODE=ON

*Marcel Chichak  Certified Mini Nut | Go in deeper, come out  *
*voice (403)466-6004                |harder and come from     *
*Fax (403)469-8650                  |behind!, That's what it's*
*chichm@tibalt.supernet.ab.ca       |like to race a Mini!     *