Re: 2 batteries -> 1 battery ?

To: billm@WMCBRIDE.space.SWRI.EDU, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 2 batteries -> 1 battery ?
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 93 08:51:54 -0800
In message <9311160808.AA0078@WMCBRIDE.space.SWRI.EDU>  writes:
> My son has a '74 MGB with dual 6 volt batteries which appear to
> be approaching the end of their useful lives.  He has been considering
> switching to a single 12v battery.
>
> Is this "easy" and what are the "gottchas" ?  Which side carries the battery
> and are their replacement cables available to make the switch or is this a
> home
> mechanics job?  What is the recommended battery size and type (South Texas
> driving)
>
> thanks,
>
> Bill

I just did this myself on a '68 BGT. The wire between the battery and starter
solinoid goes along the right hand side, so that is the side to place the 12 V
battery.  I don't know the size.  I got it at a Kragen auto parts store and it
was their 700 series.  I'm sure it is a standard size.  It is just a little
bigger than the 6 volt and is a tight squeeze... but it fits. I purchased a new
ground strap. Drilled a hole in the rear of the battery mounting pocket in the
same relative location as the one in the left side, then bolted the new ground
strap in using 2 star washers.  The star washers were placed against the body on
ether side to insure good electrical contact.  I dropped the new battery in,
hooked up the old hot battery wire and the new ground strap.  Thats all there is
to it.  I left the old wiring in just in case that in some fit of insanity I
could switch back to two 6 V batteries.  It was less effort than replacing both
batteries and the ground strap.  If I recall correctly, the single battery has
more cranking AMPs than the two 6 V batteries.

Good luck,

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561