Fuel injection, fuel pressure

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel injection, fuel pressure
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1993 11:41:04 -0500
Lawrence writes:

>>However, this simplicity does have a high price.  These systems run at a
>>very high fuel pressure to actuate the mechanical injectors; 70psi
>>coming off the pump, 50psi in the system.  If you break a fuel hose,

        I thought most all fuel injection systems ran at high fuel pressures
all the way from the tank (where the pumps are located) to the injector rails.

        I know that injection systems are required to have a cutoff valve that
stops the fuel pump when the engine quits.  Perhaps you could modify this switch
to shut off in the case of extremely high mass flow - like a broken fuel line.
You could measure the difference between the mass leaving the tank versus that
returning.

woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu