Re: Oil leak from hell

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil leak from hell
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1992 10:21:45 CST
John Sanders (sanders@hydra.unm.edu) writes:
> Well, my second attempt to eliminate the oil leak from the rear tappet
> cover on my 68 MGB has failed. [...] The first try involved using a new
> gasket, coated in permatex blue silicone. This past try did not use any
> sealant but the cork gasket supplied by Moss may not be thick enough and
> compresses thinner than the locating ridge on the tappet cover. It felt
> good when I tightened it down.

I have nothing against Permatex blue silicone, but my preference is for
K&W Copper Coat, which uses adhesive properties as a seal rather than a
goop/squish factor. You should use SOME sort of sealer on these gaskets,
anyway, not install them dry. You may want to verify that your cover is
flat, not twisted, and also that the gasket sealing surface around the
perimeter is scraped clean and smooth of old debris. (Ditto for the mating
surface on the engine.) Finally, overtightening the cover onto the gasket
is a Bad Thing, as you probably know; the idea is usually to avoid cranking
down the bolts until they stop. Rather, you're looking for a snug fit some-
where in that vaguely-defined zone between finger-tight and crushing.

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473