Re: Re: 3M adhesive (Was: TR6 interior misc.)

To: lupienj@wal.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: 3M adhesive (Was: TR6 interior misc.)
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 92 14:59:24 pst
> From: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
> Date: Mon, 26 Oct 92 16:05:46 EST
> To: acg@hermes.dlogics.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: 3M adhesive (Was: TR6 interior misc.)
>
> > How about rubber cement? (No, really, I'm serious.) Brushes right on to
> > both surfaces, grabs tenaciously after a few minutes.
>
> While rubber cement is OK, it is pretty easy to pull apart. This can be
> good or bad. If it's good, then rubber  cement is a very good choice.
> If you really want something to stick, though, "Contact Cement" is a
> better choice. It's a lot like rubber cement in terms of method of
> application and water-proof-ness, but in addition it is quite resilient
> and a lot stronger.

Another problem with rubber cement is that it doesn't stick to slick
surfaces (like bare metal, plastics, glossy paints, et cetera) all that
well.  Almost everything I'll be gluing leather pieces to falls into
that category.  I do have some plain ole contact cement.  Don't recall
what brand it is but it's green in color and stinky.  It's okay, but I
was hoping to find something really strong, and especially formulated to
bond upholstery, vinyl and leather to most anything.

Roland