Noises coming from my rear-end

To: work@riggs.b30.ingr.com (R. Kevin Riggs)
Subject: Noises coming from my rear-end
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 92 08:50:14 EDT
I intended to respond to this yesterday, but you know how it goes
sometimes...

R. Kevin Riggs writes:
 > Despite Scott Paisley's advice that I give the transmission one more
 > chance, the exhaust pipe was still warm as I got on the phone with TRF
 > and ordered a rebuilt transmission.  I appreciate your logic, Scott, but
 > with a fresh, souped up motor under the hood, I just didn't want a
 > transmission on it's last legs---I wanted something I could have

I don't blame you a bit!  I guess that my logic is driven by the most
important fact that I am cheap!  :-) And it sounds like you made the
right choice...

 > way I wanted to test things anyway.  The new starter sounds better than
 > ever, the new transmission is silent...
 >
 > ...and so is the rear end.
 >
 > So, all-knowing friends, what do you think the noise was?

Perhaps the noise from the rear was a referred noise from the
transmission...  Don't laugh!  This has actually happened to me in my
VW!  In my case I kept hearing a nasty *scrape* *scrape* *scrape*
sound from the CENTER of the car!  It turned out to be a spring
rubbing inside the left rear brake drum.  The sound followed the hand
brake cable to the center console where I could hear it.  Drove me
nuts until I figured out what was happening...

The other thing that I can think that might have happened was that a
wheel wasn't seated properly on the lugs...  I had a tire that made
that exact noise you described when a tire shop forgot to tighten down
all the nuts on the wheel.(!)  Since you removed the wheels and put
them back on the car, you may have solved that clunk problem without
even realizing it!

 > saga posting.  I'd still like to hear advice on tuning the stock ZS
 > carbs and the ignition for a Kent (S2 equivalent) Fast Road cam and
 > 9.5:1 compression.  The car runs rich, the idle is lumpy, and I can't
 > get it to idle lower than 1400 RPM.

Roger Bolick sent me a great writeup about this when I asked the same
question about 6 months back.  I'll forward you his post.  I had two
problems.  Vacuum leaks.  I'll send you a list about where to check.
Mine was under the front carb which connects the retard portion of the
distributor...sealing this helped alot.  My other problem was the
by-pass valve adjustment.  (and I still feel I have some problems
here) There is a great writeup on how to adjust this sucker in the
Bentley manual.  I ordered a bypass rebuild kit from Moss which
contains new rubber and the brass seat.  Hopefully this will keep my
idle from creeping up from 700 rpm which happens only sometimes.  :-(

Good luck, and let us know about your victory tour!

-Scotty
---
Nobody knows how transmissions work, or even where they came from.
They just arrived at car factories in unmarked crates.  The people at
the car factories put them in their cars.  Many people believe the
transmission was created by beings in other solar systems.  There is
evidence to support this - mainly transmission manuals which contain
bizarre diagrams and deranged alien commands.

                                                -Dave Barry