Re: Help with valve cover gasket!

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Help with valve cover gasket!
From: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1992 10:09:31 CDT
flanery@elric.EPM.ORNL.GOV (Ray Flanery) writes:
> I cannot keep a gasket on the valve cover; after a short time I start getting
> oil leaking past the thing. I have used the 'blue stuff' and seem to have
> decent downward pressure from the TWO nuts. Is it possible to be getting
> pressure built up under the valve cover?

I THINK it is possible, but I'm going to tapdance around that question and
just say that I have redone many a valve cover that was sealed unsuccessfully
with blue stuff (by somebody else :-). I hate to make you retrace your steps,
but perhaps you should try a new gasket and use Copper Coat on both sides to
stick it in place. Very unscientifically speaking, IMHO the K&W Copper Coat
seals everything with real adhesive and a copper particle suspension, whereas
the blue stuff seems to rely on the properties of it being, well, "goopy",
which is not always enough.

tappity, tappity, tappity...

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473