Re: TR Windscreen Replacment

To: walker@hprpcd.rose.hp.com (Darrell Walker)
Subject: Re: TR Windscreen Replacment
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 92 16:39:31 PST
Darrell asked:
| Has anyone installed a windscreen on a TR4-6?  The Moss TR6 catalog
| makes it sound pretty easy- put the seal on the glass, put some string
| around the groove where the frame sits, set the whole thing in place, and
| slowly pull the string to seat the seal into the frame.  Is it really
| that easy?

Yes I've done a tr4 and Yes it is easy. Particularly if you see some one
with experiance do it before you try.

Use a stong slippery cord like 1/8 inch nylon.
Put the seal on the glass. Tuck the cord into the outside groove in the
rubber as follows: start at one of the lower corners, leave a foot or
so of cord hanging out. Tuck it into the groove accross the bottom edge,
then up the farside, then across the top and down the fouth side, THEN ACROSS
THE BOTTOM AGAIN, and leave a foot or so hanging out of that corner too.

Now you have a bit of cord hanging from each of the lower corners.
Now have a friend help you set the windshield more or less in place with the
two cord ends hanging inside the car, and the bottom edge as close as
possible to where it wants to end up. you sit in the front seat and pull
the two cord ends while one or two friends push gently but firmly on
the out side. As you pull the cord out it folds the rubber in. In it goes.
that's it/dickn