Re: Previous owner bashing

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Previous owner bashing
From: mason@ftp.com (Stark Raving Mason)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 91 15:29:46 -0400
Not a car, but very british:
1971 Triumph Daytona 500cc purchased from Don Hutchinson Cycles, Wakefield, Ma:
All 4 valve guides loose in their elongated holes, the ends of the valves were
mushroomed and had to be hit with a grinder to get them through the guides.
The valves were recessed about 050". The cylinders were 060 over and scored
030 deep from what looked like broken rings, but the rings were OK - both
pistons had been seized, though, but not in these cylinders. 2 Helicoiled
cylinder studs, one of them stripped. 1 cracked conrod. One pre-69 crankcase
half from the era of drive side ball bearing and timing side bush and one
crankcase half from drive side roller bearing and timing side ball bearing,
giving a drive side roller bearing and a timing side bush - nothing to keep
the crank side play in check. And it ran! 400 miles til the gearbox gave way,
requiring a total rebuild, then we opened the engine... The shop that sold it
said it couldn't have been that bad because it ran fine when it left their
shop. The friend that bought it is now riding a Yamaha.
Last time I recommend anyone buying from a dealer. She could have been fucked
by a private sale for half the price.