wire wheels and silicone

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: wire wheels and silicone
From: mit-eddie!ads.com!eburns@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Edward Burns)
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 90 15:32:35 -0700
>Roger (or anyone else who cares to comment), while checking out a local
>wire wheel place (Zenith Wire Wheel in Campbell), I noticed that the liners
>on some wheels were replaced by a thickish clear coat of something that
>looked like silicone sealer.  Is this how wire wheels are converted to
>tubeless?  Is tubeless the way to go with wire wheels?  The tubes on my
>wire wheels seem to hold air forever.

I've noticed that too.  I don't think it would allow you to do
away with tubes though.  Probably just a more permanant protection
from the spokes.

Another use for silicone on wire wheels is to seal the spoke nipples
inside the hub.  A thin layer keeps the grease inside the hub instead
of leaking out and creeping along the spokes.  It saves a lot of
cleaning.

-Ed