Re: [Bricklin] Floorboard heat

To: "Rick at High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>, "bl"
Subject: Re: [Bricklin] Floorboard heat
From: "Greg Schroeder" <gschroeder@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 21:17:41 -0500
Rick,

I had thought about that.  I was looking for something like a computer heat
sink with fins to help them cool, but I have not found anything that was
close enough to wrap around and exhaust pipe.  The problem is really space
to do anything and I guess if there was space this would not be an issue.

I had a custom exhaust made hoping a little larger pipe would help get the
heat out.  I did the lizard skin thing all the way behind the seats.  I was
thinking past that would not be an issue.  I believe it has worked some.  I
have installed the new parking brake boot and that seems to be working.  It
was like a small chimney before.

I realigned the drivers door last night trying to get a tighter fit and
looked for holes to plug in the firewall.  I only found two small pin size
holes.  My door has a tighter fit now which should help with any outside air
getting in to help the engine heat throught he floor.  My door does not
close as smoothly as before, but I may have to live with that.  Not much
room to move the D-ring.

I have shorty headers and was not planning on wrapping those.  I was mainly
focusing on the exhaust pipe down to the transmission cross member.  I had
found some wrap that was good to 2000 degrees. I believe if I could get
10-20 degrees difference in the floorboard it would not be worse than any
other car.

I may try to take a longer trip tomorrow.  The engine is running better
since I have resolved the charging issue.  I am not sure if that is making
it run cooler or not, but at least I know I have enough battery to restart
the car if I turn it off.

Greg 0036
Bricklin@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html