Re: Bricklin on fire

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bricklin on fire
From: "J F" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:18:10 +0000
>   Serge, the two biggest reasons I have seen are fuel lines deteriorating
>at
>the carb, breaking, filling the compartment with gas and POOF, break out
>the
>marshmallows and hot dogs. The other is a power steering hose
>cracking/breaking and spewing ATF on the exhaust manifold. Same result.
>Carbs are also known to leak fuel (gaskets/accelerator pump)with the same
>results.

A couple things -- the last show I went to with my hemi charger was really,
really packed.  I had to drive all over trying to find a spot for my car.  I
finally did and worked it into the spot.  I spotted a bunch of smoke under
the hood and found that the ps hose had burst and was shooting directly onto
the exhaust manifold -- the steering box was burning.  Now, this car is
worth gobs of money and thank goodness I had an extinguisher.  So I popped
off the belt and made it home okay.

On the Bricklin, when I first got it, I popped out the carpet and noticed
that a bunch of it was burnt.  Looking under the car I saw that the heat
came from that heat riser but it came from the little round hinge.  It was
jetting hot exhaust right onto the seat pan and it burned a little hole
through that and through the carpet.  I stuck some foil under there to stop
it.

I don't have any tools or phones in any of my cars -- just refuse to do it.
But I do have extinguisher in all of them, in the garage, in the kitchen and
a couple of spares around. Kim