Gas Tank Sending Unit

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Gas Tank Sending Unit
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 17:09:52 -0500
If anyone is interested, I just pulled the spare gas tank I have and put
the original (cleaned) tank back in the car.  I needed to have a tank in the
to have the exhaust system installed.  But I hadn't dug the good one out
of the parts locker, not to mention the installing the new sending unit.

Well this afternoon after a conservative 5 hours of hunting for parts that
I knew I had but couldn't find, I finally found the gold mine.  I found
several boxes of my parts in the attic.  Among the parts were the orig.
support straps for the gas tank (which I'd cleaned and painted about 4 yrs
ago) and a new sending unit (this happens to be the 1st part I purchased
for the car about 5 yrs ago).

Anyway, the sending unit had a Chrysler logo on it and a part #.  For those
looking for a new sending unit, you might try your local Chrysler dealer
and this part number 3210048.  The box had 8125394 on it.  It has 125 ohm
pot in it, and the electrical connection is a 10x32 stud.

The gas tanks straps are about 31" long.  I've kept the mounting straps and
J bolts from all the AMC's I've junked.  There appear to be 2 lengths.  The
31" and a much shorter one (23ish").

The J bolts used to hold the tank straps at the front are 3/8" dia. course
thread.  (I don't remember what that was.)

I've stripped a V8 Gremlin, a couple of Hornets and a Concord.  I don't know
which car the spare tank came out of.  It is basically about 33" W x 19" D
x 11" T (tapers to 8" tall).  These are rough measurements.  I believe the
AMC Part is: #4488034 AMC.

I don't know if either the gas tank part # or the sending unit # is still
valid and if you can still get either part from your local Chrysler dealer.
If anyone tries, please let me know if the #s are still good and what the
parts cost.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org