Re: power steeriong pump

To: bricklin@autox.team.net, jwynn@lancnews.infi.net
Subject: Re: power steeriong pump
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 16:22:54 PDT
I kind of agree with Tanner but I don't think that I would necessarily
use his compressor.  My car still has an old Monroe compressor and when
I first heard about how bad those are, I went and bought one from J.C.
Whitney that was made by Hadley.  I called Hadley and they told me that
the compressor was used by a lot of Bricklin people. It is a two piece
unit with a motor, belt and compressor and, if need be, all the parts
are replaceable.  It is about the size of Tanner's.

The Hadley guy told me that they were going to release a one piece one
this summer -- that one may well be the one that Tanner sells now.
Anyway, with no leaks and only driving my car two or three times a week,
I am sure that the one I bought will be fine.  Heck, the Monroe is still
going strong and that poor thing was used all the time by the previous
owner because the system had leaks galore. I would find it very, very
hard to spend 300 for a compressor that may well be overkill. If I were
you, I would do two things. I would use the vacuum compressor and I
would call Hadley (they are the people who made it originally) and get a
rebuild kit. The guy I spoke with said they still had a few kits but
were not going to make the vacuum compressor itself anymore because of
lack of demand. From what I understand, the vacuum kit works fine on a
car that is driven all the time, or even fine on a car with no leaks.
If it is not driven that much, then a cheaper electric would also be
great. The Whitney (Hadley) product cost 139.00. Also, I recommend
isolating the air storage tank with a needle valve if the car is only
driven occasionaly. Kim