RE: Electric Fans and Oil Coolers

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Electric Fans and Oil Coolers
From: "GREGORY MONFORT" <WINGRACER@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 97 13:25:59 UT
<snip>
I pulled the mechanical fan to improve performance and installed two side
by side electrical fans to pull air through the radiator.  I set the
thermostat to turn the fans on at 180=B0.  The results were marginally
better.
<snip>
Are they shrouded?
<snip>
 I'm a cool engine freak and don't like to see the temp go over
220=B0.
<snip>
I have a '75 with the std. clutch fan, two small XKE fans in front, a 160 deg
'stat and never get over 190 deg in Hotlanta.
<snip>
  In frustration I added a secondary oil cooler to the front of the
radiator and in the process increased the oil capacity by another quart.
It seems to have done the trick.  The engine temp will climb if I'm parked
at a light in slow traffic but the minute the car moves, the temp drops
down.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd forget about the electric fans and go
with the additional oil cooler.  In fact, I'm considering replacing the
fan--going with a flex blade
<snip>
FWIW, I have a flex fan on a '69 El Camino and the roar at 70 mph drowns out
the Cherry Bombs. In a fiberglass car I should think the noise level would be
very high. Has anyone out there tried one of these on a Bricklin?
<snip>
--and dumping the two electrics.

Has anyone ever found a larger capacity radiator that fits in the beasts?
Looks like that might be a possibility.
<snip>
Not me. I got a quote years ago before I added my fans and it was equal to
about $1300 at today's rates. Instead of many small tubes, it used 1.25"
aluminum piping.

GM