Re: Poll: How best to take the chicane?

To: CarlM@RacerZX.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Poll: How best to take the chicane?
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 11:39:53 EDT
In a message dated 5/14/2006 11:39:32 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
CarlM@RacerZX.com writes:

Just  before the big left hand showcase turn there was a right to left
chicane  that left me a bit perplexed on how to take.  It forced a  choice,
either enter the showcase turn tight to help unkink the chicane, or  crawl
through the chicane to allow time to get back towards track right  before
entering the showcase turn.  I decided on the former, turning  the showcase
turn into a big constant radius double apex turn.   Anybody else willing to
share their approach and why?   Ben?

I think the only way that made sense was to carry as much speed as possible
through the kink, shorten the distance to the showcase (rather than go back
and  forth across course to set up a classic entry into the showcase), then try
to  stay on top of the tires through the showcase, without exceeding traction
and  staying as tight as possible. For me, the showcase ended up being kind of
a  triple apex turn, as I started pinched, drifted out a couple of feet,
rotated  and apex'ed twice before things straightened out for the final, little

chute.

Where I totally got caught out on the course was the final turn, as my car
(Z06) insisted on going into "ice mode" on the ABS, leaving me with much less
brake than I expected or wanted!

Mike Wood