RE: How much faster are racing slicks?

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: How much faster are racing slicks?
From: "Rick Brown" <rbrown7@covad.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 23:17:45 -0700
My 2 cents-
Judging by PAX results this past weekend in Sac Chapter with my past
National Championship BP car on bias ply Goodyear 'slicks' and two former
National Championship BSP Corvettes on the new V710 radial 'slicks' I don't
think the Goodyears have much over the Kumhos but they work different.  The
radials require more camber and consequently don't work as well off the
corners or braking.  They also require you to be neater since they don't
like to run high slip angles like the bias ply Goodyears.  I think the
Kumhos may more cornering grip.
Lastly, the radials are heavier with the steel belts required to make DOT
legality but I don't think that is a first order effect.
It would be interesting to tire test but I'm not at the point of investing
in a new set of wheels to do so.  Donations accepted.
-- Rick Brown
   BP Corvette