Re: Supra Twin-turbo 6sp For Sale

To: Kevin Stevens <autox@pursued-with.net>, Rex Tener
Subject: Re: Supra Twin-turbo 6sp For Sale
From: Donald R McKenna <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:31:20 -0800
> From: Kevin Stevens <autox@pursued-with.net>

> I've never understood why the bottom fell out of the 300ZX Turbos.  By
> all accounts that was a better car all around (didn't it win like 6 "10
> Best Cars" in a row?), and it was also very amenable to cheap massive
> turbo power.  They were never a great autox car, but neither was the
> Supra.
>
> KeS

At least for Stock class competition. both the 300ZXT and SupraTT were/are
fast but, for comparison, Me thinks they both "suffer" from having too much
weight and too little tire/wheel when compared with, say, C4 or C5 Vettes.

My simplistic theory for identifying the three main ingredients for
autocross success includes First, vehicle handling (suspension, shocks,
bars, wheels, tires, brakes, alignments and WEIGHT); Second, driver ability;
and Third (last), power(acceleration).

The logic of the priority placed on these three "components" is based on a
couple of thoughts. Although, with every thing else being equal, driver
capability wins out, even the best of drivers will be hard pressed to,
completely, overcome the disadvantages of a "pig" handling car. And, power
comes in last (third) because without good handling and competent driving
ability, all the power in the world isn't very useful.

        Don