Gray market

To: Charlie Davis <gt40d@yahoo.com>, ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Gray market
From: Patrick Jones <pcjones33@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:41:39 -0800 (PST)
(Not entirely autocross material, but good car-talk
anyway)

Charlie - You bring up an interesting subject that
dovetails into the previous thread about fantasy cars
brought over the old country.

What constitutes "gray market"?

Now, my Elise was sold in the USA, by Lotus USA, with
full knowledge and approval of the US federal
government, including Customs.  It was sold as an "off
road" vehicle only and I had to sign a waiver to that
affect.

Is this a gray market vehicle?

I always assumed that gray market referred to a
vehicle that was brought into the US by something
other than official channels.  The fact that these
cars may or may not be eligible for registration in
any particular state was of little consequence -
except to the owner of course.

patrick