RE: Falken FK-451

To: Richard Urschel <osp13@mybluelight.com>, ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Falken FK-451
From: "Thana, Peter {HTS~Palo Alto}" <peter.thana@ROCHE.COM>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:53:49 -0800
>Why dual compound? To satisfy DOT? Will we have a DOT tire with hidden
slick capability soon?

Dual compound is an idea already used by Bridgestone for quite some time
now with their "Uni-T AQ" type tires.  The idea is that rubber naturally
gets harder with age and heat cycles.  Put a softer compound near the
base so that by the time you get there, it can compensate for some of
the lost grip- especially in wet conditions.

But as to the idea of a street tire with a slick hidden underneath, well
obviously there's nothing stopping them from doing it.  It's why I sorta
chuckle when the street tire in stock proposals come up.  How do you
think stock started out?  We got to where we are by escalation, and the
same thing is happening now in the ST classes.

Peter