Street touring changes?

To: "autox" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Street touring changes?
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:07:54 -0700
I'm just catching up on a back issue of SportsCar and my mail, apologies in
advance if this has been debated already....
I'm in ST-S.  FastTrack last month seems to be throwing out for comment, a
change that would if implemented disallow ALL update/backdating.  In general I
recall it was allowed for cars on the same line of the qualification rules in
their differing years.  In my case, all years of my model are in one listing.
So based on a mechanic's futzing up both of my front calipers by cross
threading the caliper pins, so they'd need replacement anyway, I updated to a
later year knuckle, allowing me to update the rotors (of course requiring
calipers, etc.).  I really have no interest in going back to the original
assembly, even beyond the kilobuck of parts/labor it cost to do the update.  I
would be in the enviable position of spending money to make the car "slower"
(though not perceptibly so for auto-x) AND less valuable.  :P

So as posted, would this doom me to reclassing the car to something like SM or
ESP, from its current position as barely competitive on the second rung of
STS?  I realize the actual effects on me are not the point of the rules
change, it's said to be to disallow those with too much time and money on
their hands who picked and chose various parts to builld FrankenHonda.  And
BTW, did FrankenHonda rule on the Tour or wherever it lives?  I'm interested
in finding out more background so that I can decide whether to just vote my
own selfish or whether it might benefit the Class in the longer term.
Thanks for your thoughts,
PaulT