Help on Light Wheels for Stock

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help on Light Wheels for Stock
From: Matthew Rehrer <mrehrer@rehrer.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:54:21 -0800
I have a question about wheels for the stock category.

I want to buy a second set of light wheels for my car that are eligible for
stock.  My stock wheels are 17x7.5" (front) and 17x8.5" rear.  It is an
unholy pain to find any manufacturer that makes a wheel that comes in both
of these sizes, in my bolt pattern (5x120), offset (mid 40s), and is
reasonably light.  There is a way one could interpret the rules for the
stock category that would save me a lot of pain but presumably would give me
an advantage that no one else in the class has.  One could argue that the
8.5" wheels are standard factory installed equipment and why shouldn't I run
them all around...

(hurl tomatoes here)

This seems clearly to go against the spirit of the rules however, I can see
how the rules could be interpreted in this way.  I can only assume that this
interpretation has been tested in the past and that one of you good people
can tell me 8.5s all around is ok or to go fish.

If I must continue my wheel search I would welcome ANY suggestions for
wheels.  I really like the SSR Competitions but they only come in 17x8.5 for
my car...  The only things that I have come up with is custom made wheels
(too expensive and slow) or running two different pairs (not ideal).

Thanks in advance

Matthew
#330 DS BMW 330i

For your reference here are the rules for stock:

13.4 Wheels
Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following: it is
the same width and diameter as standard, and as installed (including wheel
spacers if applicable) it does not have an offset more than +/- 0.25 inch
from a standard wheel for the car. The resultant change in track dimensions
is allowed. Vehicles originally equipped only with 12 inch diameter wheels,
may use 13 inch diameter wheels of the same width as standard and offset
within +/- 0.25 inch of standard.

Wheel spacers are permitted, provided the resultant combination complies
with the offset requirements of this section. Wheel studs lug nuts, and/or
bolt length may be changed.

Vehicles equipped with rims having metric specifications may use alternate
rims as determined by using the following procedure.
Diameter: converting the metric measurement to inches and using the nearest
smaller inch diameter rim.

Width: converting the metric measurement to inches and using the nearest
smaller 1/2-inch width rim. Offset and track must still comply with the
requirements of this section.