Re: Ackerman

To: "Charles Cox" <charles@coastalbay.com>
Subject: Re: Ackerman
From: "Barry Spencer" <bspencer@tsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 17:55:51 -0800
Charles,

I don't agree completely that "toe-out on turns is the same as Ackerman. The
line from the center of the king pin through the steering arm to the center
of the TRE to the center of the diff is 100% static Ackerman. If the rack is
moved forwards or backwards that 100% static Ackerman hasn't changed, but
the toe-out on turns have, so there is a difference between Ackerman and
toe-out on turns. Now, if the steering arms are moved in or out so the
center of the TRE has moved and that would change to a + or - static
Ackerman and so has the the amount of toe-out on turns.

Barry