Re: question: high temperature hose

To: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>,
Subject: Re: question: high temperature hose
From: Lolita and Mike <lomike@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 21:07:19 -0700
on 10/17/02 10:55, Michael R. Clements at mrclem@telocity.com wrote:

> I have an engineering / tech question, maybe somebody out there can help
> me out.
>
> When I swapped the headers in my car, I had to fabricate a connector for
> the air injection hose that plugs into the header. To do this I used a
> piece of "high temperature" flexible hose, about 6" long with a 1/2"
> inner diameter.
>
> It turns out this hose isn't as high temperature as I would like. It is
> slowly deteriorating due to the heat. So I'm wondering where is a good
> place to get flexible hose that can handle these high temperatures?
>
> The hose does NOT carry hot exhaust gases. It is only routing fresh air
> into the header. It's getting hot because it's connected to a copper
> hose that is plugged into the header.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice,
>
> Michael R. Clements
> mrclem@telocity.com
> There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who
> don't.
sounds like it may be two separate problems. Heat transfer from the copper
would have a deleterious effect only on the area next to the copper and
would probably be best resolved by a longer metal line from the header. If
the hose is deteriorating all over you need a better material and i would
suggest a Mil Spec hose out of Aeroquip material ( size would dictate which
# hose). You might also consider a fire sleeve to protect it. All are
available from various shops around the bay that do aircraft hoses.
MJ