Re: Best autocross course ever!

To: Joe Ciarcia <veloimpreza@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Best autocross course ever!
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:59:20 -0700
That was an incredibly fun course, Charlie!  There were lots of speed
changes, over a wide range.  That resulted in the most gear shifting I
have even done on an autocross course, except for the 5 laps of the
Sacramento Enduro last year.  I count 10 shifts, including a 3-1
downshift!

1 Start
2 before start lights, through slalom and into the turnaround chute.
3 coming out of the turnaround towards the pivot cone
1 braking towards the pivot cone, snap the tail around and tear off
  towards the lane changes.
2 before the next gate
3 entering the "box"
2 braking to take the downhill sweeper, around the 90-degree bend and
  into the slalom.
3 a bit before the kink in the slalom
2 for the offset
3 towards the next offset
2 for the offset
3 down the last straight bit
2 going into the switchback and through the finish.

My brakes and clutch got a major workout.  Normally I hate having to
shift at an autocross, but on this course, every shift felt like it
was worth it.

The course was routed so that the terrain features added interest,
rather than being "that scary bump halfway down the straight that's
going to break your swaybar mounts/launch you into the air".  Nice job
all around.

And the grip seemed really good, the day after running on the asphalt
site at McClellan.

More Candlestick events please!