Re: Stock Shock Chalk Talk

To: Rex Tener <rex_tener@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Stock Shock Chalk Talk
From: Jesus Villarreal <jesvilla@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 13:07:30 -0700
Rex Tener wrote:

> At 09:30 AM 8/8/2002 -0700, Anthony Tabacco wrote:
> >"It is the intent of this rule that Stock Class serve as the entry class to
> >the sport and that cost containment is of primary importance to that goal.
>
> I disagree with the premise that stock class is an entry class to the sport
> and that cost containment is a primary importance in stock or any
> preparation level.

I think it will be impossible to write any rule to contain costs. the
upper stock classes(SS,AS,BS) cost as much or more than many, but not
all prepared/Modified classes. Progress costs money, money promotes
progress, there will always be someone who spends/does more than
everybody else to get that edge. Even when they have an edge on
everyone, they will be looking to devise some method to make it even
more of an edge. It's the evolutionary way of life and human nature to
be better than all the rest.

Make the stock classes stock, i.e., shocks, tires, sway bars, springs,
allow only mufflers and susp. settings. Front sway bars were allowed
years ago when some cars had weak OEM bars, that's not true today. You
can contain some costs, but not many. Remember the days when C4 Vettes
were getting the frames bent at frame shops to get favorable suspension
settings? Outlaw those things, and penalize anyone who deliberately does
these things and you might get the message across.

Jesus