Re: Stock Shock Chalk Talk

To: Anthony Tabacco <atabacco@california.com>
Subject: Re: Stock Shock Chalk Talk
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 12:27:14 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Anthony Tabacco wrote:

> I absolutely agree that we should start on tires next but the SEB has shocks
> in front of them now. That second set of rims is a member killer. I concede
> that the premise of Stock as being an entry is a very arguable one, but we
> need something to hang our hat on or what is the point of any limits at all?
> It funny that SM is our draw to the outside.
> Tony

I'll reply to your shock issue separately, and probably offline, but I
have to just disagree on the rim issue.  Why is a second set of rims a
"member killer"?!

- Again, it's a one-time cost, and rims don't even depreciate much.

- Aftermarket rims are one of *the* most popular and frequent mods.
  As a result, there are screaming piles of stock rims cheaply available
  for virtually every car out there.  If you *HAVE* to do something with
  rims, just require stock ones.  The allowance dates back to a time when
  a set of stock rims would typically have to be procured at MSRP from
  the dealer.  In today's world of eBay and TireRack that's not the case.

I think your issues need to be addressed in a larger context.  What are
you trying to accomplish??  My impression is that you are trying to reduce
the cost of Stock class competition.  Is this for perception
levels, participation levels, or competion levels?  That is, are you
trying to reduce the perceived entry level cost, the cost to compete
regionally, or the cost to field a full-on national car?  To what level
are you trying to reduce the cost?

KeS