RE: tow options- dolly, open, vehicles?

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tow options- dolly, open, vehicles?
From: "Talley, Brooks" <brooks@frnk.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 23:07:45 -0700
U-haul will not rent you a pickup if they know that you're going to tow
with it.  The smallest (cheapest) thing they'll rent for towing is a 14'
truck, for $50-$150/day, depending on the distance you're going to
travel.  I learned that the hard way towing the car back from
thunderhill after the motor threw a rod.

You can, of course, rent a pickup and not tell them you're going to tow.
My expectation, though, is that the rental agreement has something about
towing and that if something bad happened you'd be SOL (in technical
terms).

So why do u-haul pickups have towing gear, you ask? The u-haul yard in
Willows told me it was so they could use the pickups to move trailers
around in the yard.

YMMV -- that place may have just been confused/difficult.  But they
seemed to be following "u-haul standard policy manual #176, revision 41"
(judging by the hour or so it took to actually rent a truck and car
trailer).

My advice, for towing a 2200lb car 5-6 times a year: find a friend (or
acquaintance) with a good tow vehicle who wants to prove that it's good
for something other than grocery store runs.  God knows there are enough
SUV's out there with drivers desperately looking for a rationalization
for why they spend $200/week on gas.  You let them tow a race car 5-6
times a year, they'd probably pay you for it.

Cheers
-b