RE: mystery: car pulls to the left ?!

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: mystery: car pulls to the left ?!
From: J C <veloimpreza@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 15:53:35 -0700 (PDT)
--- "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com> wrote:
> Possibilities are:
>
> Brake problem: caliper is rubbing.
> -- possible, but brakes work fine and applying the
> brakes does not affect the problem.

Okay, I have to relate to something that I have some
mechanical knowledge in... bicycles (stop groaning
everyone :-). On a bicycle both the caliper and the
brake lever are sprung to release. If the caliper
binds on release what you will get is slack in the
brake cable. As you pull the lever you will take up
the slack in the cable until you reach the point where
the calipers rest at which point the calipers will
begin to move again. The travel on the brake lever is
going to be exactly the same. If something similar can
happen on a car then the brakes may work perfectly
fine. Although... if the disc and pads heat up enough
to the point where you get brake fade I might expect
the car to pull to the right a little bit.

Joe
http://taxes.yahoo.com/