Benefits of various tire sizes on my del Slo..

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Benefits of various tire sizes on my del Slo..
From: jake@codeworm.com
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:54:28 -0700 (PDT)
So, I've got 14x5.5 wheels, and I'm considering the
various Kumhos that will fit them.

I understand that a smaller diameter tire is
advantageous in terms of gearing, and I suspect a wider
tire is good because more rubber is on the road.  But I
remember skimming a thread recently that mentioned you
might NOT get that extra tread to the road if the wheel
is too narrow.  Are there bad side effects of this?

Another factor:  Given that my car has no camber
adjustment and I'm hard on the outside tread blocks up
front, is it better or worse to have wider tires?

In the Ecsta, I could mount 225/50-14, 185/55-14, or
195/55-14.

http://www.kumhousa.com/pages/pcr/ev700stats.htm

In the Victoracer, I could mount 205/55-14 or 185/60-14

http://www.kumhousa.com/pages/pcr/vv700stats.htm

What does a wider tire to for me, versus a narrower
one?  If the narrower one is better, how much cheaper
does a slightly used set of 205/55-14 Victoracers have
to be to offset the lower performance. :)

Finally, any data on which model is better for
autocross?

Thanks,

Jake Hodges
Honda del Slo