RE: Speeding ticket question (not mine)

To: <Larrybsp@aol.com>, <darren@madams.com>
Subject: RE: Speeding ticket question (not mine)
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:45:30 -0800
Judges can do anything they want. They don't even have to follow the law
or precedent (though they generally do to avoid being overturned on
appeal).

It sounds like your friend is in for some harsh treatment by the justice
system. Based on what you described he probably deserves it. But to
answer your question, in my opinion he still should do whatever he can
in his own defense. That could mean contesting the ticket and trying to
get it lowered to speeding. He could start by explaining that to the
court in a "trial by mail". He should buy a copy of the book "Fight your
Ticket" by David Brown, published by Nolo press.