RE: How racers drive

To: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>,
Subject: RE: How racers drive
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 15:08:01 -0800
Jerry, I admire your purist attitude. It's true that phone is a bad
distraction but remember that some people are more dangerous behind the wheel
even without any distractions. The term "unsafe at any speed" comes to mind.

The research I have read is inconclusive in this area. It is certain that
using a hand held cell phone does increase the probability for mistakes and
collisions. But this fact alone is a red herring because tuning the radio or
having a conversation with a passenger also increases the risk. What needs to
be shown, and to my knowledge has yet to be shown, is whether using the phone
increases the risk more than these other distractions.

It seems to me that the most effective and fair thing to do is to enact much
stiffer penalties for causing any accident. If it's really true that cell
phone users are at greater risk, then they'll pay the piper just like
everybody else.