Re: SUV explosion - in numbers

To: "Bay_Area_Autocross_List" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SUV explosion - in numbers
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 08:39:47 -0800
Socrates said that an unexamined life is not worth
living.

I have to say that when I start raging in my head about
SUV drivers, I have to say it all again substituting
"sports car" for "SUV".  It hurts, but unfortunately
much of it sticks in some way, especially if you
happen to drive a Porsche, Corvette, or BMW.

Considering the way some of us also rail at
other drivers as we drive

Considering that 0-60 in 8 seconds or less is
just about as relevant as the ability to climb Mt
Whitney when you are on the way to Safeway

Considering that some of our cars get way less than
40 MPG

Considering how many of us think the handling
characteristics of our cars make them safer than
the average.

Considering that we all think of ourselves in the
top 5% of drivers by ability

Not that I would say the Toyota Corolla is in fact the
true ideal vehicle, but after all, us sports car folk
ain't so different than SUV drivers.  Humility is
after all a virtue...

Now talking about people who use cell phones and drive ...

Jerry

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps rouler!