RE: Results from Round 6

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Results from Round 6
From: Paul S <ibisbike@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:39:47 -0800 (PST)
Personally I think that with the proper training and
enough support Women can be just as fast as guys.  If
driving cars fast came down to brute strength then it
would be a case where the fastest drivers would always
be men.  But it's not, sure even the fastest cars need
a fair amount of strength to hustle them around a
track, but it's more of an endurance issue than one of
raw physical power.  And in that Area women are very
close to men, and closing the gap every year.  Need
proof?  Just look at the Marathon times from men and
women over say the last 20 years.  The Men are making
very small improvements in time while Women are still
making comparatively large gains and the gap between
the two is shrinking.

Another issue is that motorsports is still to a large
extent a Male run world.  There aren't many role
models to get young girls excited to want to go race,
and fewer team owners willing to take a chance.  But,
it's changing slowly.  Lynn St. James had some small
success driving Indy cars a few years back.  And last
year at the Indy 500 I had the pleasure of speaking
with a young 19 year old woman, Sara Fisher, who was
turing laps at close to 220 mph.  And she has shown to
be fairly quick, just not perhaps having the best of
luck this year.

OK I'll shut up on this one for now.  :)

Paul

--- "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com> wrote:
> That Shirley DROVE?
>
> I THINK she's still driving! I'd have to confirm
> that, though.
>
> She just totally, totally rocks.
>
> And you know, it HAS to take skill to handle those
> cars. They are absolutely scary insane. You can't
> just jump in one of those like you can an autox car.
>
> Katie

=====
2000 Civic Si
#51 STS