Classes and course speeds [was: what happened]

To: Rich Urschel <OSP13@attglobal.net>
Subject: Classes and course speeds [was: what happened]
From: Glenn Ellingson <geewiz@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:44:37 -0700
On Tuesday, October 23, 2001, at 10:35 AM, Rich Urschel wrote:

> John's point is that Solo2 car classification is based on
> the car's capabilities on 2nd gear courses while road
> racing classifications are based on top gear. AAS courses
> are sometimes between Solo1 and Solo2. Safe and fun,
> but capable of producing results inconsistent with Solo2.

What about SFR courses? Personally I have yet to get to an AAS
course, but I have needed to use third gear at every Oakland course
I have attended (the last 4 events now). Granted I have a 6-speed,
but I think I would easily have blown 2nd on a 5speed miata on most
or all of those courses too (I was in third for quite a while).

We never had straightaways like Sunday's in Florida (CFR) solo2. Should
we be asking how fast we want to be going? Personally, I like high-
speed events where the lot is big enough (read: airports), but
this lot (a top-notch site, BTW, I am not dissing it!) seems more
appropriate for 2nd-gear courses. It takes a straightaway half the
length of the lot to build up those speeds (at least in a 140-horse
miata), and I think I would rather be doing somthing curvy with that
distance :). Say some serious chicanes, or a 5-cone slalom maybe.

My rule of thumb: if the course is under a minute, increase the net
seat time by slowing it down :).

-- Glenn

PS: without addressing sunday's incident (about which I know nothing),
slower courses are safer, too