Re: Rules regarding stock stuff...

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rules regarding stock stuff...
From: "Jake Hodges" <jake_hodges@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 01:15:39 +0000
I know I came off sounding like an idiot because I didn't quote Section 13.2
A of the rulebook, and for that I apologize.  It was the "...comfort and
convenience modifications which will have no effect on performance and/or
handling and do not materially reduce the weight of the car are permitted."
thing that got me curious.  There are a couple of rules about not cutting or
replacing the seat, so it seemed like the only other modification available
is on the "where the sun does shine" end.

I could learn to drive with my seat reclined, but when I've done that at
previous events, it's cost me between 1.5 or more seconds over my upright
time with roof off because I can't feel what the car is doing to the same
degree.

I suppose I shouldn't ask if simply cutting a hole in the headliner would be
legal now.  And I also shouldn't tell you I was planning on securing a
second roof and gluing in some kind of inverted salad bowl arrangement so it
would still be water tight to some degree.

And actually, Charlie, I'd dig having a sunroof in my car so that I could
see rain on it.  There are two companies that make tinted acrylic
replacement roof panels for the del Sol..  If they weren't almost a whole
semester's tuition I'd surely have one for the winter months.

In any case, I'm going to go with James' strategy regardless of weather or
not I make the modification.  I'm not not a very good driver, so it most
likely won't matter at all. :)

Thanks, all!  In particular to those who cued me into the official channels.
  See you tomorrow, kids!  Same self-alienating time, same self-alienating
channel!

Jake Hodges