Autocross school?

To: BA-AUTOX@autox.team.net
Subject: Autocross school?
From: "Craig Haggart, Accelerator Ops" <haggart@SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 02:17:53 -0700 (PDT)
Hi gang,

I'm pretty new to autocrossing.  My wife has also expressed an
interest in trying it, but she wants to have some sort of
instruction first.  Specifically, she'd like a really friendly,
fun, low-key learning environment.  To her, that means women
instructors -- and maybe even an event tailored for total
newbies who aren't up to their eyballs in testosterone,
shrieking with glee as they fling their cars about with total
abandon (yes, she got this idea while watching ME!).  Any
suggestions for a school for her?

I've heard of the Evolution school (used to be called McKamey
or something like that), but their web site doesn't show them
being in this area anytime soon.  Also, they don't list the
cost.  In my experience it's a bad sign when somebody who's
selling something doesn't tell you how much it costs.

I've also noted that NASA and SCCA each have an a-x school on
their 2001 event calendars, but I couldn't find any actual
information about the schools.  Can anybody tell me about them?
(The schools, I mean, not the organizations.)  How are the
instructors?  I would like to go to at least one of those
myself.

By the way, I attended the SCCA high performance driving school
at Thunderhill last summer just after buying my fun little
roadster, and I had an unbelievably good time.  My wife went
with me to watch, and she told me that she definitely is not
interested in something like that.

--
-Craig Haggart
 haggart@slac.stanford.edu