RE: Wheel Spacers

To: James Creasy <black94pgt@pacbell.net>,
Subject: RE: Wheel Spacers
From: Rick Brown <rbrown7@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 19:08:20 -0700
Yes.  Cheaper than the collateral damage potential of shearing off wheel
studs. Hubcentric spacers reduce the shearing load to two directions; drive
and braking.  Spacers that use the studs to position the wheel al well
wobble around and apply forces in all directions which accelerates getting
fatique fractures.

For the street, cheap spacers are ok.  For what we do, if you autocross the
car week in and week out you will eventually fatigue and break a stud much
sooner without hubcentric spacers than with them.  I don't have familiarity
with this particular outfit.  You may get your local machine shop to make
some up for a lower price.

With hubcentric spacers and 1/2" studs I can go a whole season and only
sheer a couple of studs.  I replace them all in the off season.  With an
MR2, your mileage may vary.

Rick Brown
BP Corvette