Re: trailer wiring?

To: "Scot Zediker" <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: trailer wiring?
From: "Mike Allendorfer" <mwa96imp@regionofdoom.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 15:09:59 -0700
Here's one more perspective.  I'm willing to bet that if you look hard
enough, there is one plug somewhere toward the back of the car that connects
all the tail light wires to the main wiring harness.  If you go to a
wrecking yard, you might be able to duplicate both sides of the plug.  If
the yard will let you do it, cut off about 6" of the wire on each side of
the plug and take the plug (or go to the dealer and see if you can buy the
plug and pins that populate it).  Connect the wires together and add the 5
to 4 wire converter connections to the appropriate wires, then insert that
made-up combo in the plug that your car has (presto, just like the the
bought-out plug-in connectors).  The powered converter wants a connection to
your battery or always-on buss and contains the relays that will keep the
trailer wiring from messing w/ the wiring in the car.  I used this technique
in my Impala tow car and it is near perfect.
Mike