Re: San Diego Tourand course lining

To: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: San Diego Tourand course lining
From: Dan Bratten <dbratten@ainet.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 20:41:56 -0700
Don,

I believe in marking to the outside of the pylons on both sides of
the course/roadway. Afterall, the pylons are the penalty -- the lines
are informational only. Having the line to the inside is confusing
for new drivers unfamiliar with the intent of lining the course. That
said I consider lines to be one more tool a creative course designer
can use to check which drivers are paying attention to the real
direction of the course -- much like walls of cones and boxes can.
They're merely distractions to be ignored.

However, as SFR cannot dictate the lining procedures (or lack of) in
other regions or non-SCCA clubs I would suggest the emphasis be
placed on teaching drivers to ignore the lines -- just like
roadracers do with curbs and such. :-)

I believe courses should always be lined to keep an event flowing smoothly.

--Dan

--
Dan L. Bratten
'79 Trans Am 455/5sp -- CP 37 (Continual Project)