Re: off season - cheap tow vehicle choices

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: off season - cheap tow vehicle choices
From: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <samandgreg@netins.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 09:02:01 -0600
OD, by definition, has gear multiplication so that the output shaft
rotates at a higher speed than the input shaft.  This OD gear set
will produce more heat than the 1 to 1 ratio used for "drive".

Also, in the old FWIW column, I currently tow with a Ford HD Club
Wagon with the V10.  I have been towing a 24' enclosed trailer for at
least 85K of the 110K on the vehicle.  I have always used OD as the
Ford dealer advised and have not experienced any problems.  When I
start to get into the "high mileage" zone I guess I'll see if this
was a mistake.

I use the OD Lockout button  (there is no "Tow Mode" button) for
engine braking in hilly terrain.

Greg Scharnberg