RE: off season - cheap tow vehicle choices

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: off season - cheap tow vehicle choices
From: "Allen Skillicorn" <allens@peinfo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:22:20 -0600
Thanks Alan, to be honest, power in my 190HP 4.0L Jeep Cherokee (small) wasn't
a problem. I'm replacing it anyway, I don't feel it's worth fixing the AC. I
pulled my 2700lbs Honda S2000, 1500lbs trailer, and half of the crap I own to
NASA Nationals at Mid-Ohio last Sept with that Cherokee. Power wasn't the
issue. Expecting a 3300-3400 Cherokee to tow that much weight was the problem.
Even with trailer brakes, I had to plan ahead. It also seems that the rear
sags with very little weight. My '94 Grand Cherokee had the 5.2L v8 and 4
wheel disc brakes, and seemed to tow fine. If I find one of those priced
right, and in good shape I have no problem buying one.

Allen

I've pulled my '99 Miata with my old 200,000 mile+ 177hp 1989 "baby"
Cherokee (not a Grand) with my buddy's 1000 lb aluminum trailer and
it worked well. Even got 15 mpg. I'm sure the newer 190 hp Cherokees
would work even better. If that's not enough power there is a company
here in Seattle that manufactures high-performance Cherokee inline 6
engines for reasonable prices (about $1200 I think). Go over 4000 lbs
total and the Jeep was straining however. My Jeep had the factory tow
package, a custom 3-row radiator  and Rancho auto-adjusting shocks. I
didn't have the air bag suspension in the rear but if I had it to do
over again I would have added that as well.

Sounds like you have a 6-cyl Grand Cherokee? IMHO the smaller
Cherokee sounds like a better fit for you. Decent 1999-2001 models
are getting reasonable and the earlier ones are dirt cheap. FInd a
decent one that's been well cared-for and it should last forever but
stay away from the abused ones as they can be money pits.

Good luck!

- Alan Dahl

Alan Dahl                                                 email:
alandahl@mac.com
Federal Way, WA, USA                         Yahoo IM: AlanBDahl
http://homepage.mac.com/alandahl   ICQ: 52688023