RE: A new spoon in the FSM pot

To: "'Chuck'" <golden1@britsys.net>, "'autox '" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: A new spoon in the FSM pot
From: "Eric Salem" <eric@mail.brown911.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:59:19 -0600
<<
I like to propose a new rule to be implemented as soon as possible:
[proposal] For those classes where possessing the FSM is required, it
must be presented with the car and available for all competitors to
reference in impound. [end]

This is a requirement that makes sense under the current rules. It give
competitors a chance to see what specs are available and what the FSM
shows any suspect part(s) should look like on a car they are not
intimately familiar with. I can't recognize an suspicious part or
assembly just by looking at it on a car I'm unfamiliar with. Someone
could feasibly replace a strut suspension or some factory Mickey Mouse
one with a fully independent system, and make it look factory. I
couldn't tell the difference unless there was another identical MMY car
available to check. IIRC some cars came from the factory with adjustable
coilovers. I wouldn't know if a set on a stock class car was legal or
not, or within the factory allowed range of adjustment. I have
personally witnessed a new car presented in grid at a national tour in
stock class with a complete aftermarket suspension under it. If it
wasn't that there was  another competitor in grid running the same car
that recognized the discrepency and called him on it, he probably would
not have been protested by anyone else in the class who was running a
different make car.

Why not just make a rule that any car more than five years old and isn't
a MASS produced car can't autoX. As that, in effect, is what the above
proposal would do. Heck -- why not solve half the problem by making
stock classes for cars no more than five model-years old.