A new spoon in the FSM pot

To: "'autox '" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: A new spoon in the FSM pot
From: "Chuck" <golden1@britsys.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:12:16 -0500
I like to propose a new rule to be implemented as soon as possible:
[proposal] For those classes where possessing the FSM is required, it must be
presented with the car and available for all competitors to reference in
impound. [end]

This is a requirement that makes sense under the current rules. It give
competitors a chance to see what specs are available and what the FSM shows
any suspect part(s) should look like on a car they are not intimately familiar
with. I can't recognize an suspicious part or assembly just by looking at it
on a car I'm unfamiliar with. Someone could feasibly replace a strut
suspension or some factory Mickey Mouse one with a fully independent system,
and make it look factory. I couldn't tell the difference unless there was
another identical MMY car available to check. IIRC some cars came from the
factory with adjustable coilovers. I wouldn't know if a set on a stock class
car was legal or not, or within the factory allowed range of adjustment. I
have personally witnessed a new car presented in grid at a national tour in
stock class with a complete aftermarket suspension under it. If it wasn't that
there was  another competitor in grid running the same car that recognized the
discrepency and called him on it, he probably would not have been protested by
anyone else in the class who was running a different make car.