Re: Subject: Re: shop manuals

To: "Rick Cone" <rickcone@bellsouth.net>, "Steven J Miller"
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: shop manuals
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 19:59:28 -0600
It would fall to you ONLY if you put him through all that to prove himself
legal.

If the bum is illegal as hell, you get all your bond back and the expense is
his nickel.

Which is how it has always been. If the protest incurs cost to prove
(teardown has been the most common, but not necessarily the only cost), then
the cost is borne by the loser of the protest. All were doing now is
acknowledging that the cost of deciding a protest may include some
dealership's shop time to look up and supply the needed reference.

If you were to protest that Ferrari, or that Mazda, for some engine
illegality requiring teardown, it would probably cost more to rear down and
rebuild that  Ferrari engine than that Mazda engine -- but you pay that cost
only IF you lose the protest. It would be no different regarding
documentation cost.

What if you suspect the Porsche instead of the Datsun? Probably cost more to
tear down the Porsche, and to verify its specs. It might  cost more to
verify the specs in the DP winning Miata than my ancient Spitfire. If you
want to tear down my engine this year it will cost you more than if you
wanted to tear down my old motor -- because the newer motor is the product
of a more pricey builder. Every class is likely to have cars that cost more
to verify, and to tear down, than others in the same class. All depends in
who the alleged cheater is and how much you believe in your case. The cost
must be irrelevant in the rule, but my be relevant as to whether you choose
to exercise it.

--Rocky