RE: First computers, was: team.net history

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: First computers, was: team.net history
From: "P.Herder" <p.herder@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:41:35 -0600
1969 1st computer was a targeting computer for a Titan II ICBM ... paper
tape in octal code.

~1982 used computer punch cards to update training records for missile
crews.  Sent cards (properly sorted with "program" cards inserted in their
proper places) to data automation so that they could run the deck thru the
main frame and return a printed list to me.  (HOURS of work!  Used my
personal computer (see below) to do the same job in 15 minutes with a basic
program I wrote.)

~1984 USAF gave me a CPM machine ... 8" floppies, HUGE 10 MB hard drive ...
64K memory!  CalcStar, DataStar, WordStar, BASIC

~1985 USAF game me a Zenith Z-100 PC.  I programmed in ZBASIC to replace the
database programs in DataStar that ran in CPM.

My first personal computer was a RS Color Computer with 4K (!) of memory in
1981.  Got it upgraded to 16K (!) of memory with Advanced Color Basic ROM
chip for $234 (in 1981!), decided I could do it myself for a LOT less cost.
Been supporting them ever since.

Paul Herder